I have to say these are highly addictive but they are just the best thing to have in a jar for when unexpected friends drop by for a drink or if you want to spice up some vanilla ice cream for dessert… I just crumble these babies on top and they are delicious! These nuts will also keep for a couple of weeks as long as they are stored in airtight glass jars in a cool and dry place.
- 1/3 Cup brown sugar
- 2/3 Cup white sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of salt
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper (or chilli powder)
- 1 Teaspoon of cinnamon
- 300 Gram of pecans
- 200 Gram of cashews
- 2 egg whites at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 140 degrees.
- Mix sugars, salt, cayenne, paprika and cinnamon making sure there is no lumps. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat egg whites until frothy but not too stiff like you’d use to make a meringue.
- Add nuts quickly and stir to coat them with egg white evenly.
- Spread nuts onto two trays lined with baking paper. They will be quite sticky but try and get them into a single layer if you can.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. I usually don’t stir them this whole time but you can half way through the cooking time if you want. After 40 minutes I usually take a pecan and a cashew out to test if they are cooked.
- When they are ready, remove from the oven and let cool completely on trays.
- While they are cooling I go back and forth to seperate them… don’t worry if they are stuck together, this is part of the fun! You eat while you seperate!!!
- Place in an airtight jar!
This recipe also works well when halved. xox