Let’s be honest, who doesn’t like a home cooked spag bol…
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
500 grams minced beef
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
1 x can of diced tomato
1 x can of big red tomato soup
½ cup of red or white wine (optional, but I usually some wine open somewhere!!)
Dried herbs – Rosemary, oregano, basil, bay leaf
Salt, Pepper to taste
Your 10 steps
- Sauté the onion in oil for 2 minutes
- Add garlic and minced beef to the onion… I usually drain the mince after it has browned. You don’t need to but I like to drain the fat however this is where the flavour is! Catch 22!
- Add wine and tomato paste, cook for 10 minutes or until reduced by half
- Add soup and tinned tomatoes, bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Add herbs, bay leaf, salt and pepper to taste
- Simmer uncovered stirring occasionally for 1-1/2hrs
- You can adjust the cooking time to suit your personal choice; I like my Bolognese sauce quite thick hence I cook it for longer and it also allows the flavour to develop.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Grate some Parmesan cheese or even cheddar if that’s all you have in the fridge.
- Lastly I mix the cooked pasta into my Bolognese sauce, alternatively you can put the pasta on the plate first then the sauce, top with a sprinkle of cheese.
Notes: This recipe can feed up to 4 people. I always make a bigger batch to either freeze for up to 3 months or it will keep for lunch and dinners in the fridge, max 3-4 days.