Minimalism isn’t just a lifestyle choice, it can also be one’s personal style in how they dress and accessorise – think of the classic French woman’s style, and celebrities such as Gwyneth Paltrow and Victoria Beckham. It’s about having a minimalist aesthetic – this means sticking to a limited colour palette; having a simple silhouette to your clothing (no frou frou frills or wild prints, for example); and keeping accessories to a minimum. Adopting a minimalist style means having low-key but timeless pieces that work every day, no matter what’s fashionable at the time, and can make getting ready for the day pretty easy – as everything pretty much works together. Some “rules” that minimalist style enthusiasts follow:
- Keep a monochromatic wardrobe. Black and white are the dominant colours; accent colours tend to be grey, navy or blush.
- Stripes are the print of choice – again, in the neutral colours mentioned above.
- Tailoring is key – pieces should look as if they were made especially for you.
- Your idea of a going out dress is the LBD – in fact, it’s pretty much your go-to dress for any occasion.
- Interesting cuts are what elevates your minimalist style to something special – a boxy cut makes your tee anything but basic; flared sleeves give your white blouse some drama.
- Always have a black coat and a black leather handbag at the ready.
- Your shoe collection is mainly flats, slides or pumps, again in neutral colours – comfortable and ready to go at short notice.
- Keep jewellery simple yet personal – solitaire diamond earrings; a thin gold necklace with a tiny pendant; delicate rings. No chunky cocktail rings or necklaces emblazoned with your name.
If you’re thinking about adopting a minimalist style to your wardrobe, here are 5 great Aussie examples of minimalist style to get you inspired!
Remember that if you’re thinking about a minimalist style for your own wardrobe, less clutter in your clothing choices = more classic styling. Let us know if you decide to pursue a minimalist aesthetic!
Eileen is a blogger at 5feetofstyle.com, where you can find style inspiration, “how to wear” tips, and capsule wardrobe ideas. She is also a full-time mum of two, Food Network addict, and unabashed dog person.